Friday, November 29, 2013

My first visit to a gyno

Since i tested positive for pregnancy, i spent sleepless nights due to severe cramps. It got a time when i had shoulder pain and i couldn't lift my left hand for a week. Its these symptoms that really got me scared and i decided to see a gyno who has a record to successfully solve reproductive health issues in many women. I knew this would come with a cost but i chose him for the sake of my health. Since i started living with the HIV virus, my health always comes first and any pain or unusual feeling is taken very seriously. I have previously experienced poz people who ignored a feeling or a pain and they ended up in a hospital bed. I travelled all the way to his clinic a journey that took me three hours. We had never met but i knew in my heart he would help me. 
The first thing that i talked to him about was my HIV positive status and that i was pregnant out of choice twelve years later after my first born son. He congratulated me for this and i felt very welcome. I went ahead to narrate what had brought me all the way from Nairobi to see him. At first, the symptoms made him suspect ectopic pregnancy and he asked me when i has taken an emergency pill last. I couldn't remember so he ruled it out and told me all will be well. 
He recommended a ultrasound as much as my pregnancy was only five weeks old just to find out what would be causing the pain in my stomach. As i rested on that bed as the technician conducted the ultrasound, i prayed that my baby would be fine. The technician however mentioned to me that there was a problem with my left ovary which my doctor would explain better. I left the lab and walked back to my doctors clinic in faith that all was well. As the doctor opened the envelop from the lab, i was so anxious and i was just wondering what news that envelope carried and what mattered most was my baby's health.
He read the pelvic ultrasound report that indicated my baby was well forming and corresponded to five weeks and one day. There were no uterine fibroids seen and my right ovary is normal. However there is a well defined left ovarian cyst measuring approximately 3.04cm by 3.50 cm. And the sonographer had suggested a three weeks follow up to confirm viability. 
The doctor explained that most cysts in pregnancy go away on their own and therefore there was no need to worry. He also informed me that trying to interfere this early in pregnancy would put me in danger of a miscarriage and therefore told me to relax. The highest possibility was that the cyst would go away on its own. Other possibilities would be that the cyst would rapidly grow, bleed or rupture and also may twist.
The doctor however assured me that that having cysts during pregnancy is fairly common in many women and is harmless to my baby. Oh i walked out informed and encouraged. Yes baby Wambui(my chosen name for my baby girl) stay in there mummy loves you so much. 
In the meantime, speculation continues for who my baby daddy is even to a point where a counselor suspected that i was a victim of infecting the man who is my baby daddy. No never would i infect anyone with my virus. I made sure my baby daddy is a man i had known for five years and had the virus too. I also ensured that we only had unprotected sex when i was very likely to get pregnant and it was easy somehow to convince him though he would tell me to take emergency pill to caution against pregnancy but he did not know that that what he did not want was what i wanted so much. 
Mum is already aware of my pregnancy and i am glad that i let her know that i am expecting. Kev is not and i feel its best to keep it that way until he sees my big belly.

No comments: