Friday, November 22, 2013

On the road to Motherhood again, and am travelling solo

I am a go-getter and when i promise myself i want something, i do not care about the risks. I believe in taking risks and overcoming to feel good that i did it. I decided i wanted a baby a few months back. And i went ahead and put measures towards achieving what i wanted. I went ahead and chose the man to have a baby with. It was easiest to choose my ex because if i invited him for a sex date he wouldn't deny me. Secondly, my ex is HIV positive just like i am and therefore i was comfortable that i wasn't going to pass the damn virus to baby daddy. I also knew my ex did not need a baby and so it was easy for him to deny responsibility. I went ahead and ensured that i gave him a sex date only when i was sure i was most likely going to conceive. I only failed once and the next month i am pregnant!
Before i got pregnant i talked to several doctors and most would say my case is very rare. Very few women take such drastic decisions like i did these days. Some were so discouraging wondering why i wanted to have another baby yet i already had one. Others asked why i needed another baby yet i was living with HIV and i wondered whether HIV positive mothers do not have rights to choose what they want. Another even told me that its very hard for me to conceive i wonder what he would say now that i am celebrating. 
 I am now officially pregnant and i feel over the moon. The news are just exciting. I am very well aware of the long journey that am gonna take, the process of ensuring my baby isn't infected by the virus and i am soo ready for it.
A change of environment is also quite exciting as i am moving to a different town. Actually am moving closer to my  mum. I wonna get a baby girl and name her after my mother because i love her so much. God forbid a boy because i will have to name him after my brother who we are not in good terms currently. If it happens then i will have defy traditions and give my son a different name. 
I know the road to motherhood alone isn't going to be easy and lucky me i got women friends who are very caring. I like them more those that are single mums because they completely feel me. I have already given them the news and they have assured me of their support. For now am loving it. I have been sleepless and so have got the opportunity to feel the process of GOD creating a new being within me. I am already starting to feel heavy. I am eating like a pig and it feels very good considering how i have been poor in  the food department. I have had to be pushed to eat but now its crazy. The craving for smokie starts early and i frown on the shop early in the morning when i find they have not yet opened. I did not know it was craving till last night when i confirmed the test. 
This feeling feels like a first time. I had my son while so young and i cant remember so much of what i went through during pregnancy. This time i am pregnant out of choice. Its lovely. Its wonderful. May God grant me the grace i need to travel this road and finish the race. As for my friends, your support this time is paramount. I know i will be moody but thank God i will be in a new office. I have been blessed with two things at the same time. A new job, and a pregnancy. Who am i not to say that Jehovah is worthy of all praise. I have prayed to get a job and he has greatly rewarded me and now a baby, wow. Its joy that i cannot explain. 
I have some fears though. Its my hope that the two most important people in my life will understand me; my son and my mum. They better because i am gonna add another to their fold. 
As i begin counting 280 days, i hope that you will be part of this journey. I am also having other needs for now because i don't think i will want to walk a lot once my belly begins to grow big. By then, i am trusting that God will have blessed me with a car to ease my movement as i juggle between work and pregnancy.   Its gonna be an eventful journey. Hoping it will be all joy. Watch this space!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed that is a road less travelled. Two years ago I chose to have a babby and the most potential candidate was the person who infected me. He agreed but once he knew I was pregnant he flew like a jet. I am glad I have a beautiful daughter who is now 1 year 4 months. The journey is worth it!
Go! Go! Galfriend!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

How encouraging, hope other people struggling with the idea of getting a baby and being HIV positive would read your article. You are truly a brave woman. wish you best of luck!

the black tomatoe said...

Congratulations Zawadi :-) I feel so proud of myself to have led this road of motherhood while positive. Breastfeed that baby for up to one year and dont listen to what people say, just keep close to God, it shall be well with you two.