Wednesday, July 17, 2013

I finally got the opportunity to meet the women CEO's in my admiration list

Dreams always come true to those who are patient and daring to dream. In my pursuant of my dream as a Chief executive of an organization there are those women i have admired to interact with and learn their way of leadership and governance. At first its very difficult to approach them because of their position and commitments and again, there is that little fear that this 'big' person may not have time for me.
 I remember the day i traveled all the way from Eldoret to meet my mentor Asunta Wagura. I was so prepared for anything. I had a very hard time accessing her office because then all visitors were at the receptionist's mercy to see the boss. Luckily for me, i had known the then youth officer at her office and i first went to see her. We talked at length where she encouraged me a lot then sent me to see her boss. I had waited for this day for so long and couldn't wait to see Asunta. On speaking to the receptionist, she first told me that Asunta was not in. When i told her that the youth officer had informed me that Asunta was in her office, she then told me to have a seat. I waited while other people came,ushered in and i was not given a chance. The youth officer happened to pass by the reception on her way to the washrooms and on finding me there one hour later, she quarreled the receptionist. This gave me the lifetime opportunity to finally meet my role model.I had read so much about Asunta and all i wanted was to see her physically and that was enough for my emotional fulfillment. I had always wondered how she afforded to live a normal life amidst all odds. When i finally met her, i was amazed. There was so much similarity between her and me. I promised myself that just as she made it i would also beat the odds. In my climbing up the ladder i have been lucky to attend meetings with CEO's and i find nothing extraordinary about them. Its just that they are confident and believe in themselves.  
I always saw her in my dream car, met her in meetings where it was difficult to reach her but oh how lucky i was this week that we have spent almost a whole week with her. She is the CEO of an organization that champions the rights of sex workers. I have admired her as a woman, CEO and everything. I feel so proud that i finally managed to have a lengthy talk with her. And guess what i just found out that we got similar goals and motivations. She is a single mother of one just like i am. And what perplexed me more was that all the time she saw me she has admired my size and body shape. She actually told me she has always wanted to know how i am able to maintain my waistline. So the woman i have been fearing to approach also had something she needed to know from me? Hmmmm i feel so excited today. 
To all the ladies out there, you can be whatever or whoever you want to be. The power is in you. For these women above, they have not depended on men and they dared to dream and they have actualized their dreams. Same here, i do not believe that a man will make me own my own house, car or PHD. The power to acquire all these is within me.

No comments: