Monday, June 17, 2013

The Secrets of my Wardrobe

When i visited the village recently, i sought to find out how a certain family was doing from my mother. My interest to know how Mama Mwangi has been in particular is influenced by childhood memories. This is the woman who made me wear my first shoe. I was so sad to learn that her son Mwangi died recently after an overdose of a substance suspected to be an illegal drug. Her husband had died a few years ago and one cannot help to notice that the once rich classy home is no longer the same anymore.
As i watched the jigger infested children wearing shoes with a smile on TV as Cecilia and Ngina Kenyatta donated shoes to Murang'a children yesterday, i felt tears in my eyes. It reminded me of Mama Mwangi helping me to wear the first shoe (bata ngoma) she donated to me at age 6. Of course the shoe did not last and i was back to my usual life with no shoes. Accompanying the shoes had been her daughters' old clothes to wear. 
Life as a child was tough. Mum struggled to feed four mouths all alone. We did not have a change of clothes nor shoes but to us it was normal. When well wishers like Mama Mwangi visited, it was a celebration. Their goodies however only lasted a short time and we were back to our old life. I bought my first shoe while in class eight when my uncle gave me Ksh 100. The shoe costed Ksh 150 but since the owner of the shoe shop was a neighbor, she agreed to give me the shoe and payment would be done later. I paid the debt when the shoe was already torn but i could not afford a replacement. In high school, i visited the garbage bin whenever form fours were leaving for i knew i would get old shoes that would last me a little bit longer. I never wanted to bother mum with issues yet i knew school fees was a problem. Being sent home is what i dreaded most.
Today in the office this afternoon, a colleague told me on my face the uniqueness of my wardrobe. Since i started earning a few coins of my own, my wardrobe comes first. I have countless shoes, dresses name it. 
I would never wish to see any child without the basics; clothes. Unfortunately or fortunately, my work involves visiting poor people and every time i spot a girl without shoes, i feel teary. I cant avoid to sympathize. I support children with clothes wherever i can, i share my clothes with those who do not have but i cannot be able to afford to support all. But every time i see a child smile after receiving a clothing gift, i see my own smile in that child.
I wish all children would have access to a shoe.

No comments: